Federal election data published by the Australian Electoral Commission is excellent. Polling place-level results are published in easy-to-analyse CSV files, and can be easily manipulated to give you whatever figures you need. Full sets of polling place address data, including latitudes and longitudes, are also easily accessible, along with the candidate lists.
The same is, sadly, not true for most state and local elections.
For a while now I’ve spent a great deal of energy pulling out inaccessible election results, published as HTML tables at the seat level, as PDFs or god forbid as PNG image files (hello Tasmanian Electoral Commission). I’ve now started a gradual project of taking this data as I need it, and turning it into standardised and complete datasets.
Each dataset includes:
- Full list of candidates, including ballot order, party affiliation and group where applicable.
- Full list of polling places, including latitude and longitude, and including IDs to match the polling place address data to voting data.
- Full set of vote data at the polling place and seat/ward level broken down by candidate. In some cases, this is also available at the two-party-preferred and/or two-candidate-preferred level.
I’ve been able to expand this collection recently to now include six Western Australian state elections, six Brisbane City Council elections and the last seven Queensland state elections, and I plan to do more election results in the near future. All of this is thanks to those people who have signed up on Patreon.
I am making the most recent dataset for each jurisdiction available for free to everyone. Everything else is available to anyone who donates $5 USD or more per month via Patreon. I will consider requests to prioritise particular datasets for those generous donors who give $20 or more per month (although this will be limited to reasonable requests).
Click on each link to go to the Google Drive folder containing the data:
- Australian Capital Territory 2020
- Brisbane City Council 2020
- New South Wales 2023
- NSW by-elections 2016-2022
- NSW council elections 2021
- New Zealand 2020
- Northern Territory 2020
- Queensland 2020
- Queensland by-elections 1996-2022
- South Australia 2022
- South Australian council elections 2018
- South Australian by-elections 2019-2022
- Victoria 2022
- Victorian by-elections 2015-2017
- Tasmania 2021
- Tasmanian Legislative Council 2007-2023
- Western Australia 2021
- Australian Referendums 1906-2017
All of the following datasets are available to Patreon donors.
- Australian Capital Territory 2012
- Australian Capital Territory 2016
- Australian federal by-elections 2017-2023
- Brisbane City Council 2000 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Brisbane City Council 2004 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Brisbane City Council 2008
- Brisbane City Council 2012
- Brisbane City Council 2016
- New South Wales 2011
- New South Wales 2015
- New South Wales 2019
- NSW council elections 2011 – special elections held for Wollongong and Shellharbour councils
- NSW council elections 2012
- NSW council elections 2016 – elections were only held in councils unaffected by planned amalgamations. This data includes the delayed Tweed council election.
- NSW council elections 2017 – elections were held in those councils which had not faced election in 2016.
- New Zealand 2008
- New Zealand 2011
- New Zealand 2014
- New Zealand 2017
- Northern Territory 2012
- Northern Territory 2016
- Queensland 2004 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Queensland 2006 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Queensland 2009
- Queensland 2012
- Queensland 2015
- Queensland 2017
- South Australia 2002
- South Australia 2006
- South Australia 2010
- South Australia 2014
- South Australia 2018
- South Australian council elections 2006
- South Australian council elections 2010
- South Australian council elections 2014
- Tasmania 2010
- Tasmania 2014
- Tasmania 2018
- Victoria 2006 – missing geocoordinates for polling places and matching column to match polling places in results data to addresses.
- Victoria 2010
- Victoria 2014
- Victoria 2018
- Western Australia 2001 – missing addresses and geocoordinates for some polling places.
- Western Australia 2005
- Western Australia 2008 – missing Legislative Council results for ordinary polling places.
- Western Australia 2013
- Western Australia 2017
- Western Australian by-elections 1996-2023
Thanks for help
I’d particularly like to thank:
- Alex Lum who managed to pull out the links to all of the NSW 2016 council election vote preferences, which made it possible to convert them into booth-level data.
- Matt Cowgill for some tips on writing code to pull New Zealand results out of seat-level CSV files.
- Ethan and Rebekah from Armarium Interrata who have helped compile a number of datasets.