With Christmas coming up soon and little in the way of electoral news, I thought I’d spend this week going through the major elections expected in 2009. At the moment, the big ones from my perspective are:
- Queensland general election, expected by September.
- Indian federal election, expected by May.
- European Parliament election, in June.
- United Kingdom general election, which must be held by mid-2010 but could be held in 2009.
- German federal election, to be held in September.
- Indonesian presidential election, in July, and legislative election in April.
- British Columbia provincial election in May, along with a referendum on introducing the Single Transferable Vote electoral system.
I’ll get started with Queensland later tonight.