Federal election data published by the Australian Electoral Commission is excellent. Polling place-level results are published in easy-to-analyse CSV files, and can be easily manipulated to give you whatever figures you need. Full sets of polling place address data, including latitudes and longitudes, are also easily accessible, along with the candidate lists.
The same is, sadly, not true for most state and local elections.
For a while now I’ve spent a great deal of energy pulling out inaccessible election results, published as HTML tables at the seat level, as PDFs or god forbid as PNG image files (hello Tasmanian Electoral Commission). I’ve now started a gradual project of taking this data as I need it, and turning it into standardised and complete datasets.
Each dataset includes:
- Full list of candidates, including ballot order, party affiliation and group where applicable.
- Full list of polling places, including latitude and longitude, and including IDs to match the polling place address data to voting data.
- Full set of vote data at the polling place and seat/ward level broken down by candidate. In some cases, this is also available at the two-party-preferred and/or two-candidate-preferred level.
I’ve been able to expand this collection recently to now include the last five Brisbane City Council elections and the last six Queensland state elections, and I plan to do more election results in the near future. All of this is thanks to those people who have signed up on Patreon.
I am making the most recent dataset for each jurisdiction available for free to everyone. Everything else is available to anyone who donates $5 USD or more per month via Patreon. I will consider requests to prioritise particular datasets for those generous donors who give $20 or more per month (although this will be limited to reasonable requests).
Click on each link to go to the Google Drive folder containing the data:
- Australian Capital Territory 2016
- Brisbane City Council 2016
- New South Wales 2015
- NSW by-elections 2016-2018
- NSW council elections 2016 – elections were only held in councils unaffected by planned amalgamations. This data includes the delayed Tweed council election.
- NSW council elections 2017 – elections were held in those councils which had not faced election in 2016.
- Northern Territory 2016
- Queensland 2017
- South Australia 2018 – does not include Legislative Council data by polling place or by electorate
- Victoria 2018
- Victorian by-elections 2015-2017
- Tasmania 2018
- Tasmanian Legislative Council 2007-2018
- Western Australia 2017
All of the following datasets are available to Patreon donors.
- Australian Capital Territory 2012
- Australian federal by-elections 2017-2018
- Brisbane City Council 2000 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Brisbane City Council 2004 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Brisbane City Council 2008
- Brisbane City Council 2012
- NSW council elections 2011 – special elections held for Wollongong and Shellharbour councils
- NSW council elections 2012
- Northern Territory 2012
- Queensland 2004 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Queensland 2006 – does not include two-candidate-preferred data by polling place
- Queensland 2009
- Queensland 2012
- Queensland 2015
- South Australia 2014
- Tasmania 2010
- Tasmania 2014
- Victoria 2014
- Western Australia 2013
- Western Australian by-elections 1996-2018
Thanks for help
I’d particularly like to thank Alex Lum who managed to pull out the links to all of the NSW 2016 council election vote preferences, which made it possible to convert them into booth-level data.