Submissions closed last Friday for Queensland’s federal redistribution, and they have now been published online. The interesting factors include:
- A large number of submissions have called for the districts in the western parts of the Flynn electorate be redistributed back into Maranoa, including submissions from a number of local councils.
- Most submissions suggest the extra seat being added to the growing suburbs to the south of Brisbane, in the Ipswich-Logan-Gold Coast corridor.
The most interesting element are the variety of suggestions for the name of the 30th Queensland seat, including:
- Bjelke-Peterson – Named after former Queensland Premier Joh.
- Coulter – Named after 2004 Australian Idol winner Ricki-Lee Coulter. I’m not kidding.
- Killen – Named after former federal Liberal minister James Killen. This was the suggestion of the Liberal National Party and another person.
- Wright – Named after poet Judith Wright. The name was the suggestion of the Queensland Greens in 2007, and was used by the AEC as the original choice for the seat that was later renamed Flynn due to local concern that the seat would be associated with disgraced former politician Keith Wright. However, if a seat was based in another part of Queensland, this concern may not be as strong.
- Gair – Named after former Queensland ALP Premier and DLP Senator Vince Gair.
- Theodore – Named after former Queensland ALP Premier and federal Treasurer Ted Theodore. This was the suggestion of the ALP.
What is your idea? Please post electorate name ideas in the comments section below, and you might want to read the AEC’s guidelines to naming divisions.